Madras by N.C. Strugnell
- 1 1/2 lb meat (chicken, beef , prawns or lamb)
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- 1 large onion
- tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ground almond
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons lime (or lemon) juice
- ghee (or butter)
- 2 fresh green chillies
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ground cardamoms (remove the seeds from the husk first)
- 1 desert spoon garam masala
- 1 desert spoon ground dried fenugreek leaves
- Preheat oven to 200C, 400F, gas mark 6.
- Cut meat into cubes and fry in oil until brown then remove.
- Slice onion and chillies and fry in same oil for five mins.
- Add chilli powder, cumin, fenugreek, turmeric, pepper and cardamom and fry for further 5 mins.
- Add tomatoes, puree and almond and cook for for further 10 mins.
- Add meat and cook in oven for 1 hr stirring halfway.
- Add garam masala, dry fenugreek leaves, lime juice, stirring in.
- Salt to taste and add knob of ghee just before serving.