Biriani by N.C. Strugnell
16th November 2002 · Food and Drink
- 1 lb meat (beef, lamb, pork or prawns)
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1″ fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 2 tablespoons warm milk
- 1/2 pint meat stock (chicken or beef depending on meat used)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 ground cardamoms
- 5 ground black peppercorns
- 2 ground cloves 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 ground cardamom
- 2 whole cloves
- 2″ piece cassia
- 2 bay leaves
- Fry 3/4 of the onion, chopped with the ginger and chopped garlic until golden.
- Add Spices 1 and lemon juice after further minute.
- Add meat and cook, covered on very low heat for 1 hr, less if using prawns.
- The meat should become very dry and be coated with the mix. Add salt to taste.
- While the above is happening preheat oven to 325F, 160C gas mark 3.
- Soak saffron in warm milk for 10 mins. Boil rice for 5 mins and strain.
- Fry remaining onion in some ghee.
- Add stock, saffron and rice and return to boil.
- Strain, retaining liquid.
- In a flat dish put a layer of half the rice, then spices 2, then the meat, then the remainder of the rice.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 1 hr.