Chicken Vindaloo by Bob Downey
16th November 2002 · Food and Drink
This dish was introduced to Indian Cuisine by Portuguese settlers. Its original name is Bindaloo.
- 2 kg Boneless Skinless Chicken thighs, (The frozen ones from Costco work great), cut into bite size pieces.
- Combine the following in a blender to make the marinade:
- Garlic Cloves to taste (8 to 12)
- 2 TBSP Ground Ginger
- 1-1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 3/4 tsp Ground Cloves
- 3/4 tsp Ground Cardamom
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
- 8 ounces Malt or Apple Cider Vinegar
- Place the chicken in a zip-lock bag, and add the marinade.
- Remove the air from the bag and seal.
- Knead the bag to mix the meat and marinade.
- Ensure that all the meat is covered.
- Refrigerate for 18 to 24 hours.
- Place in a Large pot over low heat. Add 2 Tablespoons of whole peppercorns and about 6 bay leaves.
- Simmer for at least 2 hours.
- Thicken mixture with corn starch prior to serving over rice.